Resolutions for a Purposeful Life in 2024

 



Arriving at the end of another year, we thank God for the opportunity to continue our journey. As we look back from Christmas and explore the teachings of the book of Psalms, we find valuable principles that illuminate our path. We want to live lives that honor God, and it begins by recognizing the importance of how we use our time, a divine gift given to us each day. The key to making the most of this journey is to learn to use this precious resource in a way that glorifies God.


In this context, establishing resolutions aligned with this sacred purpose becomes crucial to shaping and experiencing life with purpose and meaning. We saw in Psalm 1 that we need resolutions to stand firm in the midst of this crazy generation. In Psalm 90, we understand the importance of being aware of the brevity of our lives. In Psalm 42, we learn to desire to thirst for the most precious good in the universe: our God. In Psalm 27, we highlight the importance of desiring communion with the saints. And in Psalm 34, we are challenged to seek to experience the Lord and see how good He is.


Today, on December 31, on our last day of the year, I want to once again emphasize that it is crucial for our lives to have resolutions in our hearts to enjoy, know, and serve our eternal Father.


I believe that the theme of "resolutions" has lost popularity because it implies discipline on our part. We live in an era of superficiality, where we hesitate to interrupt our activities, even if we are aware that they do not contribute to the good of the kingdom, especially when it comes to seeking a life of holiness. Indeed, "holiness" is another word that has fallen out of use, but it is fundamental for those who hold hope for eternal life.


I hope you understand my statement; if you are a Christian, it is imperative that you are growing in holiness. Let me biblically show you why I am saying this:

"... and strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:14b)

This teaching is simple but not accepted by many. Heaven is for the saints; let us remember that all children of God are called saints. The Bible makes it clear that the hope of heaven is for those who have been redeemed, forgiven, and sanctified by Jesus. Thus, holiness is a work of God's sovereignty and also our responsibility. May the confusion be dispelled, at least for those living nominal Christianity, without any change in their lives, claiming to be Christians but living with one foot in the world. In light of biblical teachings, holiness is something you practice and purpose to seek. See what the apostle Paul teaches young Timothy:

"But have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness." (1 Timothy 4:7)

"Paul inspires Timothy to cultivate the discipline of relentlessly pursuing what glorifies God. In this context, he urges Timothy to reject local superstitions, merely popular beliefs not found in the Bible. The purpose is to remain in discipline, an essential active call to pursue a holy life, committing to the constant pursuit of divine presence and will."

And finally, the apostle Paul says of himself:

"But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." (1 Corinthians 9:27)

"Some nominal Christians think that the Christian life is a grand party, believing that living for God is like the lyrics say:

'And let life take me...Life takes me...And let life take me..Life takes me' (Brazilian song)

It is not quite like that; see the seriousness with which the apostle Paul teaches that sanctification also involves concrete actions and personal discipline. Subduing the body and bringing it into subjection are powerful metaphors to describe the process of sanctification. It means that as followers of Christ, we must be willing to renounce sinful inclinations and actively seek conformity to divine standards. Sanctification requires self-discipline, renunciation of temporary pleasures in favor of a life aligned with God's principles. By doing so, we avoid the trap of hypocrisy and seek an integrity that honors God and testifies to His transformative grace in our lives. Sanctification is therefore a journey of voluntary surrender, shaping us into the image of Christ."


Going to our final part, as you can perceive, living a life that glorifies our God is a sublime goal, and this is reflected in our history. We should desire to live holy lives because He taught us: 'Be holy, for I am holy.' So, today, on this day before the new year, I would like to share with you some resolutions that have significantly impacted my life over the years. I have the habit of revisiting them periodically throughout the years.


I am referring to 'Jonathan Edwards's Seventy Resolutions,' one of the most notable theologians and philosophers in American history. His writings and sermons have left a lasting mark, influencing numerous religious leaders and Christian thinkers. Edwards's uniqueness lies not only in his scholarship but also in his remarkable ability to articulate theology in a way that resonates with both ordinary people and scholars. His ability to transcend intellectual barriers and connect with diverse audiences solidifies his place as one of the most important Christian thinkers of all time. As you can see, he was a person tremendously used by God. If you haven't heard of him yet, please do some research on Google, and you will agree with me.


Certainly, today is the day when we all receive those greetings: 'Happy New Year, full of peace, joy, and accomplishments.' But I want to wish you a new year full of purpose that glorifies our God, and nothing will do it better than a heart eager for change. A heart that desires to live for the glory of God, abandon the sins surrounding us, use time correctly, live with all our might in the pursuit of God, seek a humble and loving life, and continue the practice of self-examination.


If you have come this far, I would like to ask you to share with me which resolutions you found most significant. You can send them to me via WhatsApp, and I will respond to you. Today, I want to emphasize that, after all the reflection on lives that glorify God, we understand that seeking resolutions that glorify our God is crucial. Therefore, I will use these resolutions as the basis for our prayer. May the Lord move your heart, inspiring the desire to live for His glory more effectively in 2024."


Being aware that I am incapable of doing anything without God's help, I humbly implore you to, by His grace, enable me to keep these resolutions, to the extent that they align with His will, for the sake of Christ.

I must remember to read these resolutions once a week.


1. I resolved that I will do everything that I think is for the greater glory of God, and for my own good, benefit, and pleasure, for as long as I live, without any consideration of time, whether now or never, so many myriad ages from now. I resolved to do what I think is my duty and what is most advantageous for the good and advantage of humanity in general. I resolved to do this, regardless of any difficulties I may encounter, no matter how many or how great they may be.


2. I resolved to continually strive to discover some new invention and artifice to promote the aforementioned things.


3. I resolved that if I ever fall and become apathetic, so as to fail to keep any part of these resolutions, I will repent of everything I can remember as soon as I become conscious again.


4. I resolved never to do anything, whether in soul or body, greater or smaller, except what tends to the glory of God; neither to be, nor suffer it, if I can avoid it.


5. I resolved never to lose any moment of my time, but rather to use it in the most profitable way possible.


6. I resolved to live with all my might while I live.


7. I resolved never to do anything that I would fear to do if this were the last hour of my life.


8. I resolved to act, in all respects, both in speech and action, as if no one were as vile as I, and as if I had committed the same sins, or had the same weaknesses or faults as others; and that I will let the knowledge of their faults promote nothing but shame in myself, taking this opportunity to confess my own sins and misery to God.


9. I resolved to think often of all the occasions of my own death and the common circumstances that accompany death.


10. I resolved, when I feel pain, to think of the pains of martyrdom and hell.


11. I resolved that, when I think of any theological question to be resolved, I will immediately do what I can to resolve it if circumstances permit.


12. I resolved that when I feel any pleasure or gratification from pride or vanity, or anything similar, I will immediately seek to eliminate them.


13. I resolved to strive to find suitable objects for my charity and generosity.


14. I resolved never to do anything out of revenge.


15. I resolved never to suffer the slightest fit of anger from irrational beings.


16. I resolved never to speak ill of anyone, so that it tends to their dishonor, more or less, in any way, except for some real good.


17. I resolved that I will live as I would like to have lived when I am near death.


18. I resolved to live in this way at all times, just as I think in the best moments of devotion, and when I have the clearest notions of the things of the Gospel and the other world.


19. I resolved never to do anything that I would fear to do if I expected less than an hour before I heard the last trumpet.


20. I resolved to maintain the strictest temperance in eating and drinking.


21. I resolved never to do anything that I would see in another, I would find occasion only to despise him, or to think very meanly of him in any way.


22. I resolved to seek to obtain for myself as much happiness in the other world as I can, with all my power; strength, vigor, and vehemence, yes, violence, that I am capable of, or can lead myself to exertion, in every way in which I can be prompted.


23. I resolved frequently to take some deliberate action that seems very unlikely to be done, for the glory of God, and relate it to the original intention, purpose, and its ends; and if I find it not to be for the glory of God, I will count it as a violation of the 4th Resolution.


24. I resolved that whenever I do any visibly evil action, to search its origin until I come to its original cause; and then carefully strive to no more return to it, and fight and pray with all my might against this origin in myself.


25. I resolved to examine carefully and constantly what evil thing exists in me, and what leads me, even minimally, to doubt the love of God; and direct all my forces against it.


26. I resolved to eliminate these things as I perceive them undermining my security.


27. I resolved never intentionally to omit anything, except if this omission is for the glory of God; and often examine my omissions.


28. I resolved to study the Scriptures with all the firmness, constancy, and frequency that is in my power, and sincerely attend to my growth in knowledge of it.


29. I resolved never to make a prayer, and not even a petition of a prayer, about which I cannot expect that God will answer it; nor make any confession that I cannot expect God


 to accept.


30. I resolved to strive to my utmost to improve every week to higher levels of religion, and to greater exercise of grace, than I possessed the previous week.


31. I resolved never to say anything against anyone, except when what I am about to say is perfectly in accordance with the highest degree of Christian honor and love for humanity, according to the lowest humility, and the sense of my own errors and defects, and in accordance with the golden rule; often, when I have said something against someone, I must bring what I said and strictly examine it by the test of this Resolution.


32. I resolved to be strictly and firmly faithful to my trust, so that what is written in Proverbs 20:6: "A faithful man who can find?" may not even partially be true of me.


33. I resolved always to do what I can to promote, maintain, establish, and preserve peace when it can exist without excessive detriment in other respects.


34. I resolved, when narrating something, never to speak anything more than the pure and simple truth.


35. I resolved that whenever I question whether I have done my duty, my quietness and calmness being disturbed by it, to record it, and also how the question was resolved.


36. I resolved never to speak ill of anyone, unless it redounds to some particular good.


37. I resolved to inquire every night, when going to bed, where I have been negligent, what sins I have committed, and in what I have denied myself, also at the end of every week, month, and year.


38. I resolved never to say anything that is ridiculous, sportive, or a matter of mockery on the Lord's Day.


39. I resolved never to do something that I question its legality, as I intend, at the same time, to consider and examine later whether this is lawful or not; unless I question the legality of omission.


40. I resolved to inquire every night, before going to bed, whether I have acted in the best way possible with regard to eating and drinking.


41. I resolved to ask myself at the end of each day, week, month, and year what I could, in any way, have done better.


42. I resolved to frequently renew the dedication of myself to God, which was made at my baptism; which I solemnly renewed when I was received into the communion of the Church; and which I have solemnly remade on the twelfth day of the month of January.


43. I resolved never henceforth, until I die, to act as if I were in any way my own, but wholly and completely God's, according to what should be instituted in.


44. I resolved that no other end, except religion, should have any influence on any and all of my actions; and that no action should have, in the slightest circumstance, any other purpose than that for which the religious end will lead it.


45. I resolved never to allow myself to experience any pleasure or pain, joy or sorrow, nor any other affection, nor any degree of affection, nor any circumstance related to these, except what helps me in religion.


46. I resolved never to allow any measure of discomfort to disturb my father or mother. I resolved not to suffer the effects of this, such as the slightest change in voice or the movement of eyes. And to take special care in this regard with respect to any member of our family.


47. I resolved to strive to the utmost to deny everything that is not most agreeable for the good, and universally sweet and benevolent, calm, peaceful, content, easy, compassionate, generous, humble, meek, modest, submissive, committed, diligent and hardworking, charitable, balanced, patient, forgiving, temperate, sincere; and to do everything at all times when such temperament could lead me. Strictly examine, every week, whether I have acted thus.


48. I resolved that constantly, with the greatest kindness and diligence, and in the strictest control, I will look at the state of my soul, so that I may know whether I really have a share in Christ or not; so that when I am about to die, I will have no neglect to repent.


49. I resolved that this will never happen if I can avoid it.


50. I resolved to act in the way that I think I would have judged to be better and wiser when I am in the world to come.


51. I resolved that I will act thus in all respects as I think I would like to have done if I were finally condemned.


52. I often hear people in old age say how they would live if they could live their lives again: I have resolved that I will live as I would like to have lived, assuming I reach old age.


53. I have resolved to take every opportunity, when I am in the best and happiest state of mind, to cast and venture my soul on the Lord Jesus Christ, to believe and trust in Him, and to dedicate myself entirely to Him; that from this I may be sure of my safety, knowing that I trust in my Redeemer.


54. Whenever I hear something spoken in anyone's conversation, if I judge that it would be commendable in me, I have resolved to strive to imitate it.


55. I have resolved to strive to act in the best way that I think I should, if I had already seen the happiness of Heaven and the torments of hell.


56. I have resolved never to give in, nor to slacken, not even in the least degree, in my struggle against my corruptions, regardless of whether I am not succeeding in it.


57. I have resolved, when I fear misfortunes and adversities, to examine whether having done my duty, and resolved to do it; and let it happen exactly as Providence orders it, I, as far as I can, will be concerned with nothing except my duty and my sin.


58. I have resolved not only to abstain from ill-humor, irritation, and anger in conversation, but to show an air of love, joy, and kindness.


59. I have resolved that when I am more aware of provocations of a vile and irascible nature, I will strive more to feel and act good-humored; yes, on such occasions, to manifest a good nature, although I think that in other respects it would be disadvantageous, and thus imprudent at other times.


60. I have resolved that whenever my feelings begin to appear even slightly disordered, when I am conscious of the least internal uneasiness, or the slightest external irregularity, I will then subject myself to the strictest examination.


61. I have resolved that I will not yield to this apathy that I find loosening and relaxing my mind from being fully and firmly established in religion, whatever excuse I may have for it—that what my apathy inclines me to do is the best to be done, etc.


62. I have resolved never to do anything other than what I must; and then, according to Ephesians 6:6-8, to do it willingly and cheerfully as to the Lord, and not to man; "Knowing that each one will receive from the Lord all the good he does."


63. Assuming that there has never been a single individual in the world, at any time, who was truly and fully a Christian in all aspects of a standard of righteousness, with Christianity always shining in its true brightness, and proving to be excellent and beautiful from any perspective and under any character seen. I resolved to act exactly as I would if I were striving with all my might to be that someone who must live in my time.


64. I resolved that when I encounter those "inexpressible groanings" (Romans 8:26) spoken of by the Apostle, and those "longings of the broken soul" mentioned by the psalmist in Psalm 119:20, I will encourage them with all my might, and I will not wear them out by sincerely striving to express my desires, nor by repetitions of such seriousness.


65. I resolved to diligently examine myself throughout my life, with the utmost sincerity I am capable of, in declaring my ways to God and always opening my soul to Him: all my sins, temptations, difficulties, sorrows, fears, hopes, desires, and all things, and all circumstances; according to the 27th Sermon of Dr. Manton on Psalm 119.


66. I resolved that I will strive to always maintain a benign and solicitous demeanor in my actions and speech in all places and in all company, except in those moments when duty requires otherwise.


67. I resolved, after afflictions, to inquire in what ways I have become better because of them, what good has come to me from them, and what I might have achieved through them.


68. I resolved to confess openly to myself everything I find in myself, whether weakness or sin; and if it pertains to religion, to also confess the whole case to God and implore the necessary help.


69. I resolved always to do what I would like to have done when I see others doing it.


70. I resolved that there must be something benevolent in everything I say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O Messias Revelado nos Salmos 102, 109: Eterno, Criador, Mas Zombado

A Soberania Divina sobre a Natureza: Onde Estava Deus na Catástrofe do Sul do Brasil?

Jehovah-Raah: O Pastor Amoroso que Cuida de Seu Rebanho