📖 Proverbs 17🔥 WHEN GOD TESTS THE HEART, WHAT DOES HE FIND?
My dear brother,
Because of what I have witnessed of your pain and the things you have shared with me, I find myself a little hesitant to speak to you. My heart is cautious because I would never want you to misunderstand my words or think that I am minimizing what you are going through.
As I mentioned to you, over these past few months I have been going through the book of Proverbs. I have been following a simple method: each day of the month, I read the corresponding chapter of Proverbs and write a short article based on what I find in Scripture. So, on the 17th day of the month, for example, I study Proverbs 17. Tomorrow, when I share the article, it will be based on Proverbs 17.
I would like to share something from this morning's reflection with you because I believe it connects with what you have been going through.
Yes, our God heals. Scripture gives us every reason to pray for healing, and we should ask Him boldly and faithfully. We should bring our suffering before Him and ask Him to intervene.
But Scripture also teaches us that God does not always heal us in the way we ask. Paul prayed three times for his thorn in the flesh to be removed, yet God did not remove it. Instead, God told him, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:9).
I believe this is where we need to meet God.
When healing does not come, perhaps the most important question is not always, “Why, God?” but, “Lord, what are You teaching me through this? What can I learn from You today? How can I trust You more? How can this suffering draw me closer to Christ?”
I am not saying that asking “Why?” is wrong. The Psalms are filled with people crying out to God and asking difficult questions. But Scripture also teaches us to bring those questions to God while continuing to trust His wisdom, goodness, and sovereignty.
This morning, while writing this article, these thoughts were on my heart, and I wanted to share them with you.
Please receive my words in the spirit in which I am sharing them. I am not trying to tell you how you should feel or what you should do. I simply want to share with you something that God has been teaching me through His Word.
My prayer is that, somehow, these words might encourage you in this very difficult season. Whether God chooses to heal immediately, gradually, miraculously, or whether He chooses to sustain us through the suffering, He remains God, and His grace remains sufficient.
I hope you can see my heart in this. I am speaking to you as a brother who cares about you, not as someone trying to give you a lesson.
Your brother in Christ,
Leo
There are moments when we think life is testing us. But Proverbs 17 leads us to a much deeper truth: God is interested not only in what we do, but in who we are on the inside.
We can control our words, hide our intentions, and even create an appearance of wisdom before others. But there is one place where no mask can remain: the heart.
“The crucible is for silver, and the furnace is for gold, but the Lord tests the heart.”
Proverbs 17:3
What a powerful statement!
Gold passes through fire to reveal its quality. Silver passes through the crucible to be purified. And we pass through circumstances that reveal what is truly inside us.
Not every difficulty is simply an obstacle to be removed. Some circumstances become instruments through which God reveals our pride, impatience, unbelief, anger, or trust in Him.
🔥 THE FIRE DOES NOT CREATE, IT REVEALS
When we are contradicted, what comes out of us?
When someone offends us, what comes out of our mouths?
When our plans fail, where do we place our hope?
When we receive something we did not expect, can we continue trusting God?
It is easy to talk about patience when everything is peaceful. It is easy to talk about faith when the answer has already arrived. It is easy to say that God is enough when we have exactly what we wanted.
But the heart becomes visible when we are placed in the fire.
Perhaps some of the situations that disturb us the most are also opportunities to ask:
“Lord, what is this circumstance revealing about me?”
That question completely changes the way we look at trials.
🗣️ THE MOUTH ALSO REVEALS THE HEART
Proverbs 17 repeatedly speaks about our words.
“Even fools are thought wise when they are silent; with their mouths shut, they seem intelligent.”
Proverbs 17:28
There is a kind of wisdom that is not found in speaking more, but in knowing when to remain silent.
We live in a time when everyone wants to respond. Everyone wants to give an opinion. Everyone wants to win arguments. Everyone wants to have the last word.
But the Bible presents another possibility: remaining silent can be wisdom.
Not every battle requires our participation.
Not every provocation deserves an answer.
Not every opinion needs to be corrected.
Not every argument needs to be won.
Sometimes, our greatest demonstration of wisdom is simply to close our mouths and allow God to work.
❤️ TRUE FRIENDSHIP APPEARS IN ADVERSITY
Proverbs 17 also speaks deeply about relationships:
“A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need.”
Proverbs 17:17
True friendship is not built only around happy moments.
It appears when the tears come.
When problems arise.
When someone needs help.
When there is nothing to gain.
When standing beside someone costs us something.
Christ calls us to a life that is not built merely around ourselves. Biblical love does not ask only: “What can this person do for me?”
It asks:
“How can I love this person?”
This applies to marriage, family, church, friendships, and even to people who are difficult to tolerate.
🧭 BEWARE OF A HEART THAT THINKS IT IS WISE
Another warning in Proverbs 17 concerns pride.
“Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends.”
Proverbs 17:9
There is a difference between seeking reconciliation and feeding resentment.
Holding onto an offense so that we can later use it as a weapon is not forgiveness.
Constantly retelling what someone did against us does not heal the heart. Often, it simply keeps the wound open.
The gospel presents us with something much greater: we are also people who have needed, and continue to need, grace.
Those who understand their own need for mercy learn to offer mercy.
🪞 THE MIRROR OF PROVERBS 17
Proverbs 17 was not written merely to teach us how to identify foolish people.
It places a mirror in front of us.
How do we react when we are corrected?
How do we speak when we are angry?
How do we treat our family?
How do we deal with an offense?
How do we use our words?
How do we react when God does not do what we expected?
And above all:
What is the fire revealing about our heart?
Perhaps today you are facing a situation that you wish God would simply remove.
Pray, yes, that He would intervene.
But also ask:
“Lord, before You change my circumstances, change what those circumstances are revealing in me.”
Because God is not interested merely in improving our circumstances.
He is forming in us a heart that learns to trust, obey, love, forgive, and rest in Him.
“The crucible is for silver, and the furnace is for gold, but the Lord tests the heart.”
Proverbs 17:3
The fire may be painful, but in God’s hands it is never useless.
Our Lord and God,
Take us beyond appearances and show us what is truly within us. When the fire of trials reveals pride, purify us. When it reveals unbelief, increase our faith. When it reveals anger, give us gentleness. When it reveals selfishness, teach us to love.
Guard our tongues so that our words may bring life. Give us wisdom to know when to speak and when to remain silent. Teach us to forgive offenses, to love our brothers and sisters, and to remain faithful when the days are difficult.
Do not allow us to desire only to escape our trials. Teach us to ask what You desire to produce through them.
Search us, correct us, transform us, and conform us to the image of Christ.
May You find faith, humility, and obedience in us when You test our hearts.
In the name of Jesus. Amen.


Comments
Post a Comment